Skip to main content

Camping

We are preparing for our first ever (really) camping trip.  Now, you would need to know me to know that this is a STRETCH for me!  No, I am lying.....its not a stretch it is a full blown miraculous thing.  BUT, remember, I am working on Fun and Family this year and someone convinced me that camping would accomplish both.  I, however, am quite certain that camping with strengthen my Faith more than anything.  Two adults, five kiddos, one dog all in one camper....YUP--this will make or break my Faith!

I am NOT a big fan of camping.  When someone puts vacation plus camping in the same sentence it sounds like an oximoron to me.  We did go camping TWICE in the last sixteen years of marriage.  The first time was in a tent big enough to barely fit the air mattress......not good!  That was before we had kiddos.  Then we went again with three kiddos in a "three room" tent.  Um, NO....those are definately not three rooms.  It's like one big room with two very small off shoots.  NOONE slept, we froze and had to heat the van for an hour just to get it warm enough to change clothing..........not good!

The hubs and I decided it was time to save for a nice family vacation since we had not had one in about six years.  I was planning beaches, beach house rentals, warm air, heat, ocean, etc......you get the picture.  So, when I was approached with this great family idea of using said saved money to get a camper I about choked.  The argument was made about using those finances to fund one family trip or a bunch of family trips.  After much deliberation, thought and prayer, I gave in BUT........

I had some ideas of what camping was for me and what it was NOT!  My good friend is a hard core camping tenter and she says I am "glamping"...I am SO good with that!  My necessities read like a well organized shopping list.  The musts for me to go camping started with a CAMPER...no tents!  Then the camper needed some requirements also.

At least one slide out, bunk beds where no kids had to double up to sleep, a bathtub, and plenty of room in case in rains and we are all stuck inside.....oh, and.....NO BORROWING MONEY to get it.  If it didn't fit totally within the vacation budget we already have then it was a no-go...cash only!




After much searching, praying and figuring out what I liked and didn't like we did it!  Our first family camper.  As I now get prepared for our first of two camping trips this summer, I am trying very hard to be excited and optimistic about this experience.

My final thought on camping is that this ordeal is a LOT of work.  I have a hard time seeing it as a vacation!  I will link a short video I did below to show you some of my glamping necessities.  But let me just tell you that the on site necesseties will be including electricity, water and sewer.......stop rolling your eyes......if I am gonna do this I will be doing it my way!

Some Camping Necessities

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sonya Jean

This is a song I wrote for my sister and few years ago.  Here is part of her story that I told in another post:   My sister's story Sonya Jean I wish I had one more day, I wish I had just one more day. If someone had told me that this was the way; I would have wished for just one more day. The good Lord giveth, and He taketh away, I wish I had just one more day. Such short time on Earth, you had to live; And in that time you had so much to give. A mother, sister and a daughter, A spirit filled with fun and laughter. As sickness came to take you away, I held tight to every day. I wish I had one more day, I wish I had just one more day. If someone had told me that this was the way; I would have wished for just one more day. The good Lord giveth, and He taketh away, I wish I had just one more day. So many things I should have said, Sitting there beside your bed. The most important we covered, The day you prayed and Jesus heard. I

Momcation

As a mom, I feel like my number one job is always to take care of everyone else.  I rarely, if ever, have someone babysit my kiddos and I really never go anywhere without them.  They are MY gifts from God and therefore they are MY responsibility.  This has always been my thought process for 15 years of marriage.  When I would hear mom's talk about monthly date nights or mom's night out or a vacation without the kids I would gasp!  Yup--totally was judgemental.  Truth--as women, we most often are!  But then something changed.  I would laughingly say it was Young Living, but it was a strange by-product of joining Young Living that I never expected.......FRIENDS! I met some of the most wonderful women ever.  I also started to learn more and more about self care and how advantageous it is to my entire family when I take care of me sometimes, even if for a short time. Last year I took my first ever vacation without my family!  I was a wreck.  I had never left my children, I ha

Is Truth Black and White, Grey or Multicolored??

TRUTH- what does this mean to you?  Is truth black and white, grey or multicolored? I have a hard time with this one to be honest.  I like Black and white!  It seems simpler when the rules are one or the other.  Almost like I don't really need to make the decision, I just need to choose one of the two choices and be done with it.  Very little thinking is required in my black and white mind. BUT--LIFE!  Life does not allow for all things to be black and white.  This causes me some stress sometimes.  Like I said, black and white is easier for me.  Sometimes grey is the color for the day and this requires thought, prayer and actually making a decision.  Hard Work! I have been pondering this concept a lot lately because I feel that many times, way too often actually, we are raised with ideas or "rules" that we have become accustomed to that we never really thought much about.  I have begun to question many of my beliefs in a ton of areas simply to see where the idea cam